I suggest you ...

Option to update the generated document

After a form has been filled it's possible as a user to 'edit your response' at any time. Doing this updates the spreadsheet associated with it, but it generates a whole new document. For my purposes at least, this makes the add on unusable. It would be great to have the option to decide if I want to replace the existing document (essentially updating it).

282 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JamesJames shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Erik JohnsonErik Johnson commented  · 

This would be great functionality if it's optional so you're not always replacing the document. In some cases the sheet or doc are updated after the form submission, directly, in those cases we wouldn't want to lose the post-publish data.

• ARPARP commented  · 

Now, as far as I can see, when a response is edited Form Publisher create NEW documents (not replacing or updating the existing ones), and send email to receivers with the new documents (if configured) EXCEPT when THE LAST SUBMITED response is edited.
        I think this is a bug.

You can regenerate documents with the option "Regenerate", adding new documents and resending emails too.
        BUT the option "Regenerate" doesn't update the spreadsheet URL's with the ones of new files.

It would be great if you could choose:
        - If automatic regenerate files when responses change
        - If overwrite spreadsheet with the URLs of the new files when regenerate
        - If send email to receivers when responses change and/or files are regenerated and/or spreadsheet's URLs change
        - The way changes affect to new files (new ones / update old ones)

Thanks a lot.

• YY commented  · 

If it would only make a copy all the times when you edit your response. Now sometimes it will make a copy of the first file and sometimes it wont. Very frustrating. The possibility to edit the document would be great.

• Blaine County DPSBlaine County DPS commented  · 

This is very much needed, especially for us! Almost every submission is being edited at least once by a supervisor as they have to go in and approve the report or deny it. If it has been denied, the person who submitted the report must go back in and edit the report. It is very confusing when you view the generated files and they all look the same for the same report because it submits a new one each time. It should update automatically.

• ChuckeeChuckee commented  · 

Aside from this feature request to hopefully retain the original form publisher doc url when editing submissions rather than it creating a new one, please enhance the form submission edits to upload/sync right away to the form publisher doc URL so we don't have to keep using the "regenerate file" feature all the time.

• TRTR commented  · 

This feature would be great. We are trying to keep reference numbers in sync with the name of the file created, and an edited response puts them out of sync. Form Publisher works great except for this.

• K SharifK Sharif commented  · 

When we have had this problem I have had to go into the form take one away from the number then go back and resubmit their response so our numbers match up .

• benben commented  · 

Couldn't agree more! This app would be perfect except for this issue. Now I have to find another option :(

• RR commented  · 

I also agree, this would be very helpful. I am using the add on for staff appraisals which we will be going in to update periodically and it would be helpful if the original document created was updated rather than duplicated, to save everyone having multiple versions of the file.

• Troy NikolaTroy Nikola commented  · 

I like this idea as well.

If a User "edits their response" we now have two documents with the same name, which can get confusing especially when they decide to "edit their response 2, 3 or even more times.

Having the option to "REPLACE / UPDATE" the existing document makes sure everyone is on the same page at all times.

Feedback and Knowledge Base